Advantages of Isotonic Muscle Contractions
- Isotonic Contractions strengthen the muscles throughout the range of movement.
- It is also easily adaptable to most sports
Disadvantages of Isotonic Muscle Contractions
- Muscles can become sore due to the stress placed upon them.
- Muscles gain strength at the weakest point of action which is injury.
Advantages of Isometric Muscle Contractions
- Develops Strength, especially Static Strength.
- Quick and easy to do anywhere.
Disadvantages of Isometric Muscle Contractions
- Muscles gain most strength through range of movement.
- With Isometric Contractions, blood pressure is increased due to limitation of the blood flow to the heart. It is therefore not good for those with heart problems.
Differences between both contractions in relation to baseball.
- Deep fielder throwing a ball to person on a base - Isotonic
- Batter running around bases - Isotonic
- Holding bat before receiving a pitch - Isometric
- Pitcher holding the ball in the air - Isometric